Committed towards protecting the environment
Grasim continuously adopts new processes and technologies to minimise pollution and waste generation.
It has been Grasim’s endeavour to build a green environment. The company’s products including Birla Viscose, Birla Modal, Birla Excel and Birla Spunshades are USDA bio-based certified. Birla Spunshades possesses the Gold Level Material Health Certification from Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute. The other green initiatives embarked by the company include:
- New techniques leading to 30 litres of water saving for every metre of fibre. .
- Continuous reduction in water consumption aiming for zero liquid discharge in chemicals plants.
- In the past 5 years, the Viscose Staple Fibre (VSF) operations have reduced water consumption by 44 per cent.
- Use of renewable sources like bark and black liquor for 80-90% of energy requirements in pulp units.
- Promotion of solar as a source of energy for power requirements.
- DuPont Sustainable Solutions with end-to-end safety focus for own, transporters and customers.
- Reduction in energy consumption and GHG emission for transportation of raw materials and products.
- Continuous training of drivers for safe movement of vehicles.